Conjure the the sea, the moon and the stars, to navigate the Sea of Souls. Choose your actions wisely to maximise your wealth and strength at the and of the game. Keep an eye on the tide and wind and other pirates who would take your treasure and your soul.
The downloads below include a print and play version of Voodoo Pirate and rules for 1-6 players. Expansions will be added soon.
- 3 regular dice
- A base for each pirate ship and the kraken.
- Any 10 coins (I use 5p or 10p coins or pirate coins (I bought at Spiel last year).
- 30 coloured counters for 'Souls' : 5 each of red, yellow, blue, green, purple and black. It doesn't matter if the numbers are not equal or if there are fewer than 30 (25 min). If other colours are used that works but you will just have to overwrite the coin cards to refer to the colours used. For my sets I have used wooden pawns or counters or skull beads or coloured wooden buttons from ebay.
- 16 cards or counters or buttons or cubes or effigies for 'Poppets'
- A compass token. A compass image is included. For my pnp set I drew a simple compass on a circular wooden counter for others I have found old compasses. It's nice to have a working one for atmosphere. You can also use south to determine the wind direction at the start of the game.
- A GirGri In voodoo cultures it's a talisman carried around for good luck. In the game it can be anything. I have used lots of things from a small ship in a bottle to halloween skulls. It just needs to be easy to see who has it.
- Two pawns (I use chess pieces) to mark the wind and the tide.
- A bag or a cup from which the souls can be drawn during the game
1. Can players place their ships anywhere in the harbour to start? yes
2. If a ship is forced through the same space as another ship through broadsides or wind effects can it board the other ship? - only a pirate with the moon tokens can board another ship.
3. If a ship is forced onto the location of a coin by broadsides or wind effects can the crew retrieve the coin? - only a pirate with the moon token can retrieve coins from the Sea of Souls.
4. Can the GrisGris be stolen? - yes, when boarding a ship carrying it.
5. Can pirates fire broadsides if they don't have the moon token? -only if they have selected "Moon" as their hoodoo magic.
6. Can the Mermaids treasure be stolen a second time - Yes, each time there are more coins there.
7. When can a pirate change the tide or the wind? - Pirates who have conjured 'Tide' or 'Wind' must wait until they have the moon token to change the tide or the wind.
8. When do a pirates coins become invisible? - A pirate who conjures 'Sand' makes their coins invisible at the start of the round.
9. Why are Cursed Pirates (non-player pirates) important? - Cursed Pirates are used when there are fewer than 4 players to keep the interactions high.
10. Does the round continue to its end after a ship reaches the Western shore? -Yes. The game ends at the end of the current round. Ships reaching the Western shore cannot be boarded or fired upon or be chosen as a victim of 'Bones'. Pirates on the Western shore can be victims of Txi, Tok or Take unless they have the GrisGris.
11. If the kraken is conjured when does it get placed on the board? - This hoodoo magic comes into effect as soon as the round starts. The conjurer places the kraken in an open space of their choice.